The Overseas Network and Expertise Pass (ONE Pass Singapore): Attracting Top Talents to Singapore
Topics to be discussed
Key Facts about the New Singapore Work Visa - ONE Pass
- The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) announced the launch of a new work visa in Singapore called the Overseas Networks and Expertise Pass (known also as ONE Pass Singapore). It is open for applications from 1 January 2023.
- The target candidates for the ONE Pass are top talent in business, arts and culture, sports, science and technology, and academia and research.
- The Overseas Networks & Expertise Pass (ONE Pass visa), unlike the regular Employment Pass, will be a personalized work pass tied to the individual. This means ONE Pass holders will not have to reapply for a new pass if they change jobs.
- The validity of ONE Pass is 5 years. ONE Pass can also be renewed upon meeting the renewal criteria.
- ONE Pass holders can register their company in Singapore to run and operate it.
- The new Singapore work visa will also allow high-income talents and established corporate executives to live in Singapore without needing to get a job here.
- Overseas Networks & Expertise Pass holders can bring certain family members to Singapore. Moreover, the successful candidate’s spouse will be able to work in Singapore on a Letter of Consent.
- There are tough eligibility requirements to qualify for the Singapore ONE Pass.
- There are two different routes to apply for the Overseas Networks & Expertise Pass.
Benefits of the New Singapore ONE Pass
Do I Qualify for an Overseas Networks and Expertise Pass?
There are two separate routes by which to apply for the Overseas Networks and Expertise Pass:
- ONE Pass route based on a salary criterion
- ONE Pass route based on outstanding achievements
Each has its own qualification requirements.
Who can apply for the ONE Pass?
Requirements for ONE Pass Singapore
Candidates for both routes must represent one or more of the following fields:
- Arts and culture,
- Science and technology,
- Academia and research.
What is considered to be an “outstanding achievement”?
There is no precise and unambiguous definition of outstanding achievement in Singapore. It will be determined by the MOM on a case-by-case basis. Here are some possible examples:
- Candidates in arts and culture who have received prestigious regional or international prizes for excellence in artistic endeavors.
- Candidates in sports (athletes, coaches, footballers, and other sports-related professionals) should have a proven track record such as prize places in competitions, either individually or as a part of a team.
- Candidates in research and academia, or science and technology, must demonstrate a proven record of impactful outcomes from their research, which may include international recognition of scientific and academic leadership.
ONE Pass Visa Application Process and Required Documents
Required Documents for ONE Pass Singapore
The list of the required documents for ONE Pass differs based on the route you choose to apply for.
ONE Pass route based on salary
Each eligible category has their own list of required documents.
ONE Pass route based on outstanding achievements
Applicants with outstanding achievements in arts and culture, sports, or academia and research must submit the following documents:
- Payslips from the latest month;
- Documents supporting other income sources other than fixed monthly fixed salary (if applicable);
- CV with key achievements;
- ONLY for applicants applying under the academia and research track:
- CV should list significant publications, patents or technology disclosures in the past 5 years.
- Provide recommendation or endorsement letter or document by a local host institution for a potential position.
ONE Pass Application Process
ONE Pass and Starting Your Own Company
Although there is no specific guidance or requirements yet regarding the opening and operating of a Singapore company by ONE Pass holders, MOM stated that a few company-related factors would be taken into consideration when renewing the ONE Pass of company owners. For example, your company must employ at least five locals who are earning a minimum salary of S$5,000 per month (or the sum that is the EP minimum qualifying salary at that time).
Can You Bring Family under the ONE Pass?
Type of Visa
Spouse (legally married)
Unmarried children under 21 years old, including those legally adopted
Unmarried handicapped children aged 21 and above
Unmarried step children under 21 years old
Can ONE Pass Visa Be Renewed?
The ONE Pass visa renewal criteria differ between the two routes. For the route based on the salary criterion, the pass holder must meet either of the following conditions:
- Have earned a fixed monthly salary of at least S$30,000 on average over the past five years in Singapore, or
- Incorporated and operates a company in Singapore that employs at least five locals who are earning a minimum salary of S$5,000 per month (or the sum that is the EP minimum qualifying salary at that time)
For the route based on outstanding achievement, more details on renewals will be released closer to 1 January 2023.
ONE Pass Renewal Process
The Ministry of Manpower will collect the necessary information for renewal assessment on a yearly basis. The ONE pass holders will have to provide:
- Details on all their professional activities over the past year;
- The annual salary they have earned from all professional activities during the past year.
If MOM deems that you do not contribute to the economy meaningfully, the ONE Pass may be revoked. This means that you will not be able to reside in Singapore, and this will affect your stability, especially if you have dependents.
The more detailed procedure for ONE Pass renewal will be announced later.
Converting an Employment Pass into ONE Pass
Existing Singapore EP holders can convert to the ONE Pass if they fulfill either of the qualification criteria:
- Salary criterion: The candidate earned a fixed monthly salary of at least $30,000 within the past year or will earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $30,000 under their future employer in Singapore.
- Outstanding achievement criterion: The candidate must have outstanding achievements in the business, arts and culture, sports, science and technology, or academia and research sectors.
How Does Singapore ONE Pass Differ From the Other Work Passes? (comparison table)
5 years for experienced tech experts with skills in shortage from September 1, 2023
1. High income earning executives who have worked in an established company for over one year
2. Individuals with outstanding achievements in the arts and culture, sports, science and technology, or academia and research