Work and Family Passes in Singapore
Singapore offers a variety of work passes that allow foreign employees and entrepreneurs to live and work in Singapore. Furthermore, under certain conditions, the family members of a work pass holder can also live in Singapore by obtaining a family pass. Each pass comes with certain benefits and privileges as well as requirements that a candidate must meet in order to qualify for the pass. This article provides an overview of the most frequently used work and family passes in Singapore including:
Employment Pass (EP)
The Employment Pass is designed for professionals with specialised skills, managers, and company directors.
- The candidate must have a job offer in Singapore.
- The applicant must meet the qualification standards that include a good university degree, professional qualifications, applicable work experience or specialist skills.
- The minimum salary requirement is S$3,600 in order to qualify for EP; however, this applies to new graduates from reputable universities. More experienced candidates must earn an even higher salary to qualify.
- The candidate’s employer or an employment agent must apply for the EP.
- The initial EP is valid for up to 2 years.
- The EP can be renewed on an ongoing basis as long as the applicant continues to meet the prevailing eligibility requirements.
- Eligible EP holders can bring certain family members to Singapore on a Dependent pass or Long Term Visit Pass.
- EP holders are eligible to apply for Singapore permanent residence in due course.
Entrepreneur Pass (EntrePass)
EntrePass is designed for foreign entrepreneurs who want to live and run their business from Singapore.
- An EntrePass holder can act as a local resident director of his or her company.
- To qualify, an entrepreneur must have already incorporated in Singapore, or have plans to incorporate a private limited company in Singapore. Furthermore, he or she must meet at least one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Raise at least S$100,000 in funding from a government recognized venture capitalist or angel investor
- Participate as an incubatee at a government recognized incubator
- Have a strong business network and successful track record for starting and growing businesses
- Own intellectual property that gives the business a competitive edge that cannot be easily copied by a competitor
- Have a research collaboration with a Singapore university or a research institute in Singapore
- Have outstanding achievements or international recognition in key areas of expertise
- Have a solid track record of investing and desire to grow new businesses in Singapore
- A new EntrePass is valid for 1 year and renewable subject to meeting renewal requirements.
- EntrePass holders can bring certain family members to Singapore on a Dependant Pass or Long Term Visit Pass if he or she meets the company spending and employment requirements.
- EntrePass holders are eligible to apply for Singapore permanent residence in due course.
Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)
PEP is designed for high income earning EP holders, and foreign professionals. PEP allows pass holders greater flexibility to move jobs without reapplying for a new work pass. As such, the conditions to qualify for PEP are much higher than the traditional EP.
- PEP is not tied to an employer. Therefore, it allows the pass holder to switch jobs without having to reapply for a new pass.
- EP holders can apply for PEP if they make a minimum of S$12,000 per month.
Foreign candidates must make a minimum of S$18,000 per month in order to qualify for PEP.
- PEP holders cannot go unemployed for more than 6 months at a time.
- PEP is valid for up to 3 years and cannot be renewed.
- PEP holders cannot start their own businesses.
- PEP holders can bring certain family members to Singapore on a Dependent Pass or Long Term Visit Pass.
- PEP holders are eligible to apply for Singapore permanent residence in due course.
Dependant Pass (DP) for family members
With a DP, legally married spouses and unmarried children of eligible EP, EntrePass, PEP and S Pass holders can live in Singapore.
- The legally married spouse and unmarried children of an EP or S Passholders can come to Singapore with a Dependant Pass as long as the EP or S Pass holder makes a minimum of S$5,000 per month. Note, on January 1, 2018, the minimum will be raised to S$6,000 per month.
- The validity period and renewal of DP is tied directly to the main work pass.
- Dependents of an EP, EntrePass or PEP holder can work in Singapore with a Letter of Consent. Dependents of an S Pass holder can work in Singapore with an EP, S Pass or work permit. Note, the Dependant Pass holder must also meet the criteria for the work pass.
Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP)
The LTVP allows the parents, common-law spouses, stepchildren or handicapped children of eligible EP, EntrePass, PEP, or S Pass holders to come to Singapore.
- The common-law spouse, stepchild or handicapped child of an EP or S Pass holder can come to Singapore with an LTVP as long as the EP or S Pass holder makes a minimum of S$5,000 per month. Note that on January 1, 2018, the minimum will be increased to S$6,000 per month.
- The parents of an EP or S Pass holder can come to Singapore with an as long as the EP or S Pass holder makes a minimum of S$10,000 per month.
- An LTVP is valid for up to 2 years and can be renewed.
- LTVP holders can work in Singapore if they have received a job offer and the prospective employer has applied for an EP, S Pass or work permit. Note that the LTVP holder must also meet the all the criteria for the work pass.
The S Pass allows mid-skilled technical staff to live and work in Singapore. Singapore imposes a quota on the number or S Pass workers at a company.
- S Pass holders must make a minimum of S$2,200 per month.
- Candidates must have a degree or diploma with proof of a minimum of 1 year of full-time study.
- An employer or an employment agent must apply for the S Pass.
- For companies in the service sector, S Pass workers cannot make up more than 15% of the staff. For all other sectors, S Pass workers cannot make up more than 20% of the staff.
- An S Pass is valid for up to 2 years.
- An S Pass can be renewed for a period up to 3 years.
- Eligible S Pass holders can bring certain their spouse or children to Singapore on a Dependent Pass or Longer Term Visit Pass.
Training Employment Pass (TEP)
TEP allows foreign students and foreign workers of a foreign office or subsidiary to undergo short term training in Singapore.
- Student candidates must earn a minimum of S$3,000 per month or must go to a qualifying university.
- Foreign workers must earn a minimum of S$3,000 per month.
- All candidates must be sponsored by a well-established Singapore-registered company.
- The TEP candidate’s employer or an employment agent must apply for the pass.
- The pass is valid for up to 3 months and cannot be renewed.
- The TEP holder cannot bring family members to Singapore.
Miscellaneous Work Pass
The Miscellaneous Work Pass is appropriate for foreign speakers, religious workers, journalists and their accompanying staff to work in Singapore for short-term engagements.
- The Miscellaneous Work Pass is only valid for 60 days and cannot be renewed.
- An employer or local sponsor must apply for the pass.
Share this article